Sunset Villa Association
View us on:
Over the years, Sunset Villa has been established and grown, through the hard work and dedication of many volunteers. The preservation of our heritage through Sunset Villa will continue long into the future for the enjoyment of generations to come.
1950 - In early 1950 a group of Southern Ontario Danes had an idea to build a retirement home for Danes, and on May 13, 1950, the first Board of Directors was elected. The first Board of Directors were: Magnus Jensen, Frederick Nielsen, Erik Thure, Aksel William Suder, Christian Jensen, Emilie Nielsen and Karen Eriksen.
1954 - After many dances, bazaars, lotteries and bake sales, the necessary funds were raised to purchase about 50 acres of land in Crieff, Ontario from Lt. Colonel J.B. Maclean, the well known publisher of Maclean's Magazine.
June 5, 1955 - Sunset Villa Association is founded and the first Danish Constitution Day celebration is held at Sunset Villa. This yearly event has taken place, without interruption, on the first Sunday in June each year, with visitors by the thousands attending.
September 24, 1967 - Her Royal Highness Princess Margrethe and Prince Consort Henrik visited Sunset Villa and planted two beautiful beech trees, the Danish national tree.
November 19, 1993 - The Sunset Mindepark urn cemetery is consecrated. In the early 1990's, with some prodding from the Danish churches, the idea of an urn cemetery for the Danish community emerged. Sunset Villa Association donated a 2.5 acre piece of land to create the Sunset Mindepark urn cemetery with 349 urn spaces and 5 memorial walls. With energy, artfulness and persuasion, a seemingly impossible task came to fruition. The grounds are lovingly maintained by volunteers and visitors are welcome.
Today - Our property houses:
Campground with 60 fully-serviced trailer spots available for the whole season or short-term rentals.
Party dome with outdoor kitchen available for members' use.
Celebrating Danish traditions & hygge within the Greater Toronto, Golden Horsehoe & Southern Ontario areas since 1950.